During the first week of June, Simon Boynton, Head of Forums and Commercial Coordination at Snack Media, represented Snack at Digiday’s Video Conference in Amsterdam. In addition to the usual networking opportunities, a number of key issues arose again and again. Below, is a short summary of his findings:
- Branded video is the future, pre-roll is no longer of real relevance to brands
- There is no need to try and hide a commercial message, viewers are savvy and don’t like being conned
- Virtually all publishers want their own platforms as using Facebook, YouTube, Instagram etc is seen as giving money away
- Viewers now watch longer videos and consume in a similar way to how the ‘older generation’ watch traditional television, videos of between 15 and 20 minutes seem to work best for both viewers and advertisers
- Target your video to your audience. Viewers in different countries are very different and like content delivered to their taste
As you can see from the above, a lot of what we thought we knew was wrong. But what more can we expect? Video is the most dynamic element of our extremely dynamic industry and all we can do is keep ourselves aware of what is going on around us and adapt accordingly.